Date : April 25, 2021
From a young age, May Gibbs took an interest in botanical drawings. The Australian bush gave her plenty of inspiration for native flower illustrations and artworks.
Many of her artworks were featured in exhibitions and May received recognition for her paintings in the late 1800s.
Australian native flowers have been a popular flower choice for gift giving, and the petals themselves can be vibrant in colour and texture.
Inspired by May Gibb’s Australian native flower illustrations, we came up with this sweet accessory which can be given to Mum for Mother’s Day: an Australian Native Flower Ring.
- 1 Yellow Pipe Cleaner
- 1 Orange Pipe Cleaner
- 1 Green Pipe Cleaner
- Interweave the yellow and orange pipe cleaners around the middle finger on your hand.
- Twist the ends at the base of your finger to create the ring.
- Roll each end of the yellow pipe cleaner in towards the ring to create a circular shape. This will be a petal.
- Repeat the same process with the orange pipe cleaner. The petals should look like a butterfly.
- Move each petal in behind the other to create a layered effect.
- Cut a 5cm section of green pipe cleaner and twist this around the base of the ring for the leaves.
- You now have an Australian Native Flower Ring to gift to Mum.
Other Australian Flower Craft Ideas
- Make Your Own Australian Bush Flower Bracelets
- Make Australian Native Party Favour Bags
- Native Flowers in a Jar Craft
Crafty Bec is here to help stimulate little imaginations and spark a creative flame in little people. Inspired by May Gibbs’ own passion for creative writing and art, Bec helps educators and mums to embrace nature inspired creativity.