Date : July 16, 2021
Create a Necklace Using May Gibbs Ribbon
May Gibbs’ much loved illustrations are available on reels of ribbon which can be used for a variety of different craft projects. Even a simple gift wrapped with brown paper and tied with May Gibbs ribbon will elevate gift giving.
Textile crafts using ribbon can be a great way to practise fine motor skills. This ribbon necklace will definitely put those skills to the test. But the effect is worth it and you will have a new accessory to wear for yourself, or to give as a gift to a May Gibbs fan.
- May Gibbs Ribbon from Spotlight
- Yarn necklaces from Spotlight
Choose which ribbons you will use for your necklace. I alternated between Gossiping Gumnut Blue and Pelican Tales Blue. You will need to decide how many ties of ribbon you would like for your necklace. I chose to do 5.
- Cut two pieces of the same ribbon 15cm in length. Repeat with the opposite pattern ribbon. For the middle ribbon which is longer, measure and cut this piece at 25cm. You should have one long ribbon 25cm and 4 x 15cm ribbons.
- Loop the ribbon so the ends meet together.
- Place the loop over the necklace. Insert the ends through the loop around the necklace and pull the ends taut to create a knot around the necklace.
- Repeat for all ribbons on the necklace, ensuring the middle ribbon is the longest ribbon.
- Your necklace is ready to be worn or given as a gift.
Other May Gibbs Accessory Crafts
Crafty Bec is here to help stimulate little imaginations and spark a creative flame in little people. Inspired by May Gibbs’ own passion for creative writing and art, Bec helps educators and mums to embrace nature inspired creativity.